Why Would I Want to Take MKs on a Missions Trip?

When I was 13, I went to my very first MK conference. It was only about 3 days long, but on the third morning, I was pushed beyond what I had known up until that point. We did initiative evangelism in the city we were in.
We weren't sent out empty-handed, for we had been trained on how to share our faith in a quick, simple and genuine way. It was so daunting.
I was supposed to walk up to strangers and hold a conversation about my faith with them. This was craziness - as an extreme extrovert, I'd never been at a loss for words. But, I did it. It was hard. It was rewarding - even though no one wanted to pray to receive Christ with me. I had done something that was expected of me as a follower of Jesus, and I was proud of it.
Shortly after that, I was approached by some friends about going on a summer missions trip with the same folks who had hosted that conference. But instead of a 1-hour training on sharing my faith, the front 3 or 4 days of the trip were training on how to effectively share beliefs.
It was on that trip to Uganda that I learned that ministry wasn't just telling people about Jesus, but it was about cultivating relationships with people, serving those who have physical/tangible needs and meeting people where they're at to show them Jesus.
From then on, I was able to recognize that ministry was more than just my parent's job, but that our family was called to missions - we all just had a different role to play.
My parents have both expressed to me that the first conference and my following two trips to Uganda changed the way I lived as an MK. I truly think that it was because I lived out what I believe and was obedient to what Christians are called to do.
If the Lord allows, I would love to see this type of missions trip, one that is designed specifically for MKs, to be added to the list of resources the ABWE MK Care Team has to offer our MKs.
I want all MKs to recognize that they're missionaries just like their parents - God doesn't just call parents, but He calls a family. He knewn the intricacies of a family before the unit was formed and He planned the dynamics and personalities perfectly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A TCK's Reflection; Brene Brown's Call to Courage

What Kind of Difference Do I Want to Make?

Thinking about Belonging and Being Known